Saturday 16 March 2013

Great Bands Who Often Have Terrible Lyrics.

Great Bands Who Often Have Terrible Lyrics

I have seen quite a few internet memes making fun of lyrics from people like Rihanna, One Direction and Justin Bieber but what about those well respected bands who have got away with having often terrible song writing?  

#1 - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Example: 'Hey oh, listen what I say oh, I got your hey oh, now listen what I say oh.'

Chili Peppers are a classic example of a band who make lyrics that sound good without actually being good. Of course, they have done some songs that are lyrical genius but I would say well over half their lyrics are complete nonsense. There is nothing wrong with this because a lot of their music is just about having a good time but I think you probably have to be quite stoned to view most of their material as having much depth.   

#2 - Oasis

Example: 'I know a girl called Elsa, she's into Alka Seltzer.'

I have a feeling that when the Gallagher brothers write songs they basically think 'what rhymes and will sound clever to stupid people?' I actually love singing along to their songs and in the moment the lyrics seem amazing but if you really stop and analyse them they are often about as sophisticated as the poetry of a fifteen year old. To be fair, rhyming something with Elsa is probably quite difficult. No, I can't think of anything. 

#3 - Metallica 

Example: 'Dreams of war, dreams of liars, dreams of dragon's fire, and of things that will bite.'

Metallica lyrics are basically the epitome of cheesy. It is very clear they have a target market of spotty teenagers and overweight, middle-aged men with long hair. They tend to either have a 'LETS BE ANGRY ABOUT NOTHING IN PARTICULAR' or a 'let's be a bit sad about nothing in particular' feel to them. Don't get me wrong, I love the heavy riffs and the rolling drums but the lyrics are just bloody awful.   

The internet has a point though.





No comments:

Post a Comment